Tuesday, May 6, 2008

DAY SIX


Today I rode the bus to work and then I rode the bus home. While at work I spent $1.50 on coffee (why can't our coffee be free?!), but that's all I spent today. I feel like I waste a lot of paper at work, but we do print on both sides, and I know I'll waste less once I have a better feel for what I'm doing. I did have a sustainable lunch: fake turkey and cheese sandwich and an orange. I will use the sandwich bag again tomorrow and I've been drinking water out of a reused Vitamin Water bottle.

In re Fake Turkey: it's actually quite delicious. I've been a vegetarian since August 2006. My diet makes my carbon footprint somewhat smaller than my carnivore counterparts. According to the Environmental Defense Fund if every American had one meat-free meal per week, it would be the same as taking more than 5 million cars off our roads. Having one meat-free day per week would be the same as taking 8 million cars off American roads. I'm not advocating vegetarianism for everyone - my homeland's economy does depend on meat lovers - but I think its important to think about what we eat. Eating locally produced foods is one good way to cut emissions and support your local economy. Buy fresh, buy local!

Some facts regarding food and carbon emissions from the Environmental Defense Fund: http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?contentid=6604

Portland-area farmers markets: http://www.oregonfarmersmarkets.org/directory.html#Portland%20Metro

Kansas farmers markets: http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/farmersmarkets/

Total spent today: $1.50

No comments: