Sunday, May 25, 2008

DAY TWENTY-FOUR

Saturday was supposed to be a great day to go on this 18 mile hike down the Salmonberry River near the Coast. The entire hike is train tracks and the reason it would be 18 miles is because it's an out-and-back and I really want to hike the 9 miles from the trailhead to Enright, a small ghost town accessible only by hiking in. I was going to channel my inner Woody Guthrie and hike on down the tracks. But no. The weather report Friday night said it was supposed to rain Saturday afternoon. No good for a full day hike. But of course, Saturday ended up being a beautiful day (until around 8 when we were hit with a thunderstorm). Sunday is rainy and gloomy so I think I'll just clean. Boring.

Yesterday morning Wink and I walked to the NW Healthy Pets store to pick up some new cat litter for Sheba. Sheba is having some problems with the litter box, and with life in general as of late. Note: if anyone knows anything about cats who suddenly walk like raccoons, let me know. So we picked up a bag of Nature's Miracle, an alternative to clay that boasted high clumping abilities. I've tried natural kitty litters before, and they never clump as well as clay, but with Nature's Miracle I think I've found my new litter. It clumps well, it smells great, and Sheba isn't tracking it around. I'm sold. At the pet store I also picked up more biodegradable doggie bags for Wink. Total: $23.98

For lunch Adam and I decided to take the bus downtown to Saturday Market. Adam spent his cash on a new wallet (he seriously needed one) so I bought lunch at the Jalisco Natural Foods stand - we both had tasty quesadillas and later an elephant ear. Total: $15.00

After hanging out at the Waterfront Park and eating our food we boarded the bus to head home, but took a slight detour to Hawthorne Ave. because there was a secondhand store I wanted to check out (I am on the hunt for sundresses. I've discovered that they are the best thing to wear in the summer.). There we found mecca at the House of Vintage. It's huge and is part antique store, part vintage furniture store, part thrift shop. I picked up two dresses and a shirt for $24. Adam picked up a pair of shoes and a lamp for $35. I will return to this place.

To pay me back for lunch and have a friend to go with, Adam took me to the Iron Man movie. I'm not a fan of the comic book-turned-movie genre, with the maybe the exception of Batman, but Iron Man was okay. Mostly Robert Downey Jr. is just a good actor. With tickets, popcorn, and pop I think Adam spent close to $35. That's TWO people, one medium popcorn, two medium drinks, and one sub-par comic book movie. When I drag him to Sex and the City I'll wait until it comes out at the cheap theaters.

Total spent: $62.98

No comments: